In the world of wellness and beauty, infrared saunas have been making waves as a new way to achieve radiant and youthful skin. Infrared saunas use infrared light to heat the body and have been touted for their numerous health benefits including improved circulation, reduced stress, temporary pain relief, and better sleep. Now, many people are turning to infrared saunas specifically for their skin-improving benefits.
The relationship we have with our skin can be complicated. We pay attention to the look and feel of our skin as a way to reflect our overall health and beauty which, in turn, can greatly impact our confidence and self-esteem. So, if restoring some of your skin’s vigor would impact your wellness for the better, you may be in luck with an infrared sauna.
Let’s take a closer look at how infrared saunas can help you achieve a glowing complexion, as well as some tips for making the most of your infrared sauna experience.
How Infrared Saunas Work
Infrared saunas work by emitting infrared light that penetrates the skin, heating the body from the inside out. Unlike traditional saunas which use hot air to warm the body, infrared saunas allow for a deeper, more intense sweat that can help stimulate beneficial processes in the skin.
As you sweat, the heat from the sauna increases blood flow and circulation, which can help circulate oxygen and nutrients throughout the skin, possibly resulting in a more radiant and youthful appearance.
Infrared Sauna Benefits for Skin Care
In addition to the benefits of improved circulation, infrared saunas have several other skin-improving benefits. For example, small-scale studies have shown that infrared sauna bathing can boost the production of collagen and elastin, critical proteins that help keep your skin strong and supple.
Other dermatological benefits of infrared saunas include:
- Reduction of the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Improvement of skin tone and texture
- Boost in collagen and elastin production
- Decreased inflammation
- Hydrated skin
All of these benefits can contribute to more radiant, youthful skin, making infrared saunas an excellent addition to your self-care routine.
Tips for Maximizing Your Infrared Sauna Experience
While infrared saunas can offer many skin-improving benefits, you can do a few things to make the most of your experience. Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Stay hydrated. It’s vitally important to stay hydrated before, during, and after your infrared sauna session. Without enough water in your system, sweating can dehydrate your skin (not to mention make you feel dizzy). Make sure to drink plenty of water before and after your session.
- Use a skin-friendly soap. When showering after your sauna session, make sure to use a gentle, skin-friendly soap. Avoid harsh soaps and scrubs that can strip the skin of its natural oils and irritate the skin.
- Apply moisturizer. After showering, make sure to apply a quality moisturizer to help hydrate and nourish the skin. Look for a moisturizer that contains ingredients like aloe vera which can help to hydrate and soothe the skin.
- Avoid exposure to UV rays. Infrared saunas can make the skin more sensitive to UV rays, so it’s important to protect your skin from sun exposure after your session. Make sure to apply reliable sunscreen and wear protective clothing and sunglasses if you’ll be spending time outside.
Infrared Saunas for Wellness in Body and Mind
In addition to their various skin-improving benefits, from reduced fine lines and wrinkles to improved skin tone and texture, infrared saunas provide a host of well-documented benefits for your body and mind. Therefore, they are a sound investment when it comes to promoting your overall wellness.
Contact us at Wellis New England or visit our showroom in Brookfield, Connecticut. We’ll show you how our selection of infrared saunas can serve multiple purposes in your wellness practice, including your skin care.